COVID-19 - Taking Care Of You
The novel coronavirus has swept across the world and has caused changes to our lives that none of us could have ever expected just months ago. We have been quarantined for months and are finally starting to come back in to the open, but we still don't know how long it will take to get back to normal. We have many unanswered questions about the coronavirus while many suffer job loss, have family or friends who have lost their lives, or are anxious about their health and the health of others. It is okay to feel all of these feelings. We feel it too and we are here for you during this tough time because we are in this together.
Our goal of this post is to offer some suggestions to help you through your day to day life. Though there are many other ways, here are just a few that we came up with.
- Talk to the people you care about. We may not get to visit our friends and family due to borders being closed, travel restrictions, health risks, etc., but luckily we have the world of technology to help us feel closer. Video chat through Zoom, Facetime, Google Hangouts, House Party, Snapchat, Facebook Messenger are just a few options, but that's not it. We still have phones to make phone calls! Though you cannot see your caller's lovely face this is still a great option to hear each other's loving voices and catch up with one another. This is great to socialize and talk about how you feel to those that are most important to you.
- Get outside and enjoy nature. Sit outside and read a book. Go for a walk. Enjoy a picnic. Take a hike. Go canoeing. Bird watch. Being with nature can help you connect with the outside world and ease anxiety.
- Meditate. Mindfulness and meditation is incredible in helping people focus on the present moment. It lets us recognize the emotions we are feeling in a non-judgemental way. It only takes a few minutes, but can change your mindset for the entire day.
- Home projects. Reorganize a room, clean out unnecessary stuff, redecorate! Start a garden, become a puzzle master or start painting. The more creative the better. These can help pass the time, but can also help you channel your emotions into a piece of art.
- Exercise. Try yoga or training for a race! With the many free trials and free exercise apps you have the opportunity to try out a number of different exercises that you can do outside or in the comfort of your living room. Exercise is also great for your mental health!
- Get Help. If you need to talk to a professional call 1-877-HELP170 or set up an appointment. Remember talking to a therapist to take care of your mental health is the same thing as going to the doctor for your physical health. No stigma attached, do what's best for you.
Now as our world starts to reopen some of us will venture out and some will stay home. Do whatever feels best for you and be kind to each other even if your opinions may differ. The more kindness and positivity we can spread, the better.
If you have more suggestions please comment below. We wish you all the best and we are here for you. Call 204-415-3404 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.